WeChat’s power and influence over the Chinese market is immense. With 34% of all data traffic in China coming from WeChat and users spending over 66 minutes daily on average on the platform, WeChat certainly is one of the most important apps for businesses in China.
Keeping that in mind, for it to work for your business, you need to know how to crack the platform, and that can’t be done if you don’t know what’s going on on the platform right now.
With the advent of 2020, here are some essential metrics and statistics that will assist you in your road ahead to tap the Chinese market.
- Over 1.1 billion monthly active users across the world.
- WeChat reached the one-billion MAU mark one year faster than Facebook did.
- WeChat users may even have two or more accounts because contacts limit is 5,000 contacts per personal account.
- More than a billion registered WeChat users reside in China.
- There are 70 million registered WeChat accounts outside of China.
- WeChat is most popular among people between the ages of 26 and 35, according to a survey.
- While seniors are WeChat’s tiniest age demographic in China, 80% of data use on the platform comes from users 60 years and up.
WeChat Usage Statistics
- People in China spend over one-third of their online time on WeChat.
- According to the CAICT survey, WeChat is the most frequently used application among 87.6% of its users.
- More than 81.5% of WeChat users spend over an hour on the app daily.
- Approximately 23% of Internet users check WeChat at least once everyday globally.
- In 2017, WeChat users sent an average of 38 billion messages everyday, which was 25% higher from 2016.
- An average of 68 million videos were posted to Moments every day in 2017.
WeChat Mini Programs Stats
- In 2018, over 580,000 Mini Programs were started, attracting more than 170 million active users on a daily basis.
- More than 12 Mini Programs had over one million daily active users in 2018.
- 56.9% of Mini Programs outside China are in Europe and Russia, with South East Asia, Oceania, South America, and North America consisting of 4.4%.
WeChat Pay Stats
- The digital payment service given by WeChat is currently available in over 20 countries.
- WeChat Pay has 900 million MAUs.
- More than 100 million users have bought WeChat’s personal finance products.
- Pay services can be used in 49 markets outside of Mainland China.
- In China, WeChat Pay is most prominently used in supermarkets and convenience stores, closely followed by online shopping stores, food, travel, entertainment, beauty, and other sectors.
WeChat Work Stats
- Around 80% of the top 500 businesses in China are corporate users on WeChat Work.