As its push into e-commerce accelerates, WeChat rolls out a new mini program feature called ‘WeStore’.
This move comes amid Tencent’s foray into the ecommerce industry, positioning WeChat in direct competition with Alibaba, JD.com and Pinduoduo.
WeChat’s mini programs are smaller sub-apps running inside the super app that have become quite popular purely due to their wide array of functions and utilities. So it only makes sense that they capitalise on an already popular and useful feature in the app by expanding it with multiple sub-features like WeStore.
Westore, or Weixin Xiaoshangdian, offers functions such as product listings, payment, order management, post-sales services as well as built-in streaming features to showcase products.
Here are some major pointers about WeStore:
- More than 1,500 product categories supported
- No deposit required to open up an e-store
- Will replace Weixin Xiaodian, which will gradually phase out
- Enterprises can apply for upto 50 stores while home businesses can apply for 5 (during the testing phase). Individual access will open soon.
- No development costs as of now